This prestigious project was completed with +VG Architects in conjunction with Trevor Gillingwater (masonry conservator) and Capital Conservation Services. It involved the inspection of the Ontario coat of arms stone carving above the Wellesley entrance on the north side of the north wing including stone cleaning, crack repairs, pin & fills, repointing and mortar patches.
The entire front facade of the school including the chapel was restored which included 100% repointing, 100% stone cleaning and restoration of 87 metal / leaded windows. Quintek stone cleaning equipment was used for the stone cleaning; heritage lime mortar was used for the mortar joints, and DJM worked with Eve Guinan Design on the restoration of the leaded windows while DJM restored the metal windows and glazed them.
This building on the main corner in downtown Niagara on the Lake is operated by the Ontario Heritage Trust. DJM was awarded this project which included wood window restoration of the large windows on the front and the regular sized back windows, restoration and painting of the exterior siding, replacement of the protective 3M film on the front windows, restoration of the mortar & pestle, and foundation repointing.
This Chamber Accessibility project with Taylor Hazell Architects involved new heritage replica desks and woodworking, brass railings, carpentry modifications to the removable ramps, bioluminescent exit signage, camera upgrades, and associated HVAC and electrical work.
DJM was awarded this project to replace 250+ original leaded windows with new metal replica insulated glass units (with lead tape). The project also included the restoration of 26 metal windows in the basement, masonry repointing throughout, stone dutchmen and stone crack repairs, and restoration of the decorative leaded glass upper units.
DJM is performing the wood window restoration on R55 as well as installing new storm windows, and new windows and storm windows on R16.
This project included stone conservation, stone replacement, window restoration, poulticing and interior window restoration and excavation. The stone component involved stone conservation of the west courtyard. Details included various Dutchmen, pointing, DHL and extensive stone replacement in excess of 225 stones. A site cut shop and having the skilled trades to perform all carving enabled this project to run smoothly and on time. This feature enabled us to meet the strict deadline, procure stone overseas and provide excellent quality. Eliminating an outside stone shop was crucial in this project. We feel we are able to offer a great advantage in this area. We obtained Portland Brownstone stone from the United States to perform the delicate carving of the beasts at the south entrance. We followed up various correspondence methods required, provided an employee to drive to Connecticut directly to ensure procuring of the stone. We understood the importance of this detailed work and the measures required to complete this component. No contractor on previous phases was able or prepared to perform this task. We also performed the carving on Friday’s only, as requested by the client, without incident over a two-month span; this was beyond what was specified in the contract. This cooperation again illustrates our ability to adapt and the kind of service we can provide to this sensitive building and client. Window conservation on this project was extensive and included both exterior and interior modifications. Scope of work included Dutchmen, sill and glass replacement, epoxy repairs and painting. Work was performed during regular hours and beyond regular hours where required. Work included scheduling in high security areas, working in occupied offices including those of the Premier, Speaker of the House and the Opposition Leader. Detailed work description summaries were performed, including digital photos of desk layouts prior to moving contents, which ensured minimal disruption to these high profile offices. Site coordination with the client and security team was very involved and extremely crucial in the completion of these offices in a professional timely manner. Our forces were aware of these demands and met the criteria involved without any disruptions. Our flexible hour’s policy was also crucial in this area including all shifts and weekend work. We were able to perform in the most secure sensitive areas of Queens Park without incident.
DJM completed renovation this 11,000 sq ft basement which included full scale demolition and abatement, new print shops, security offices & locker rooms, bathrooms, mechanical room and new finishes throughout.
This project was completed for a developer in which extensive repointing, brick rebuilding and replacement was needed as well as complete restoration of the wood soffits, fascia and wood windows. In circumstances where the windows were not able to be restored we built new heritage replica wood windows.
The front façade of Blessed Sacrament Church at Yonge & Lawrence was scaffolded in order for repairs to be completed to the stone tracery, which included the use of repair mortars and the surrounding areas which required repointing. Cleaning of the masonry and tracery was also done. Due to the condition of the stained glass and protective glazing, there was water damage on the interior so interior plaster repairs and painting was completed after the exterior masonry restoration and stained glass restoration was complete.
Over recent years, DJM completed the rubble foundation masonry restoration including helical ties, cellular foam grouting, parging and waterproofing as well as above-grade repointing, stone replacement, stitching, and repair mortars to 75% of the Church perimeter. Also completed was the 2000 sq ft renovation of the Winchester Room which new wainscoting, plaster restoration and wood door restoration.
This downtown Oakville heritage home (1841) received a full exterior restoration and painting which included the restoration of 13 wood windows and all of the exterior siding, porch, soffit and fascia, as well as new heritage replica storm windows, shutters and storm doors. The project began in the winter on heated scaffolding and was completed in the Summer.
Located near Yonge & St Clair in the Deer Park neighbourhood of Toronto, this Church was built in 1922. DJM performed exterior wood door restoration on all the exterior doors as well as new wood heritage-replica doors, and many other various interior and exterior renovations throughout the building.
DJM was contracted by the Ontario Heritage Trust to restore the wood garage doors and wood windows and also retrofit the garage into public bathrooms for visitors to the property. The Ashbridge family was one of the founding families of Toronto (formerly York); they immigrated to York from Pennsylvania in 1793. They are also the only Toronto family to occupy their land continuously for 200 years.
DJM has completed multiple projects here over the years including wood window restoration, plaster restoration and new heritage plaster walls, masonry restoration, new exterior deck, dining room painting & restoration, and mechanical room upgrades.
This historic private residence in the Teddington Park neighbourhood was built in 1931. It has had a very storied history of owners in it’s almost 100 years of existence. DJM was contracted to provide masonry restoration on the main residence including repointing from the lowest stone courses up to the parapet, and mortar repairs on the base of the veranda columns.
This prestigious private school in the Lawrence Park neighbourhood required renovations to various buildings on the property. Our work included wood window restoration, rebuilding a cobblestone retaining wall, new stone entrance, foundation waterproofing and repointing, and repointing in various other areas of the school.
Located in the Village of Maple Heritage Conservation District, DJM performed an extensive amount of wood restoration on the wood doors, windows (incl sash weights, pulley, cords, etc), siding, soffits, and fascia as well as the necessary replica replacements. Masonry restoration of the rubble foundations and chimneys was also completed. In order for all this work to take place, shoring using 6×6″ cribbing and supportive LVLs was temporarily installed for the replacement of the sill beams and structural framing repairs. This heritage house was built in 1890.
Masonry restoration, extensive underpinning and wood restoration were major components of this project. The basement was dug out which required a complex conveyor operation and constant maintenance. Stained glass restoration was also performed. Phase 2 Restoration Works D.J. McRae completed the Phase 2 exterior restoration of St. Francis de Sales Church for the Town of Ajax. The scope of work included a new asphalt-shingle roof, new slate roof on the bell tower, lead-coated copper flashings, masonry restoration, window restoration, below grade foundation repair and waterproofing, as well as landscape/parking.
The interior courtyard required restoration of the metal / leaded windows due to condensation and drafts. DJM restored the metal windows and glazed them, and Eve Guinan Design rebuilt the leaded the windows.
This former schoolhouse-turned-community center required grouting of all of the foundation walls which was specified as the Multiurethanes equipment. As one of few contractors in Ontario who owns the equipment and is trained on it, DJM completed the grouting of the foundation walls as well as the repointing of the foundation walls.
This project included the restoration of 16 heritage wood windows on the north, east and south facades. It was a challenging project given the original state of the windows and what was required to bring them to a finished standard.
Phase 1 – Structural enhancement of the roof was a challenging project as limited access required the maneuvering of steel members by hand through narrow openings prior to placement within the roof space. Temporary facilities were set up in advance to carry out the work in a safe manner. Phase 2 – Interior renovation. The mandate was to keep the Church functioning during the renovations and DJM worked closely with Church personnel to ensure that the daily activities of the Church were not compromised. At the end of each week an area was prepared for Sunday services. All furnishings including lighting systems and the organ were removed and a complete scaffold system was erected to facilitate the work. The project consisted of extending the altar to allow for multi-functional use, new wood patterned floors replaced carpet and painting of the walls and ceilings enhanced a previously dull and dark space. Faux finishes were used throughout to replicate stone and marble. A new lighting system introduced with multiple effects that could be set to suit the occasion. A large stained glass window behind the altar was restored as well. * D.J. McRae Contracting was awarded Project of the Year by the Toronto Construction Association for this project.
Metal window repairs were completed on dozens of windows throughout the school. The windows also required lead rebuilds, glass replacements and insitu repairs. The metal windows were all stripped, repainted and received new putty. Other projects at the school have included chimney repointing, and interior brick masonry cleaning.
DJM was brought into this project when it was discovered that the entire rectory rubble foundation required extensive masonry restoration. Helical ties were used to tie the wythes together in order to withstand the hydrostatic pressure of the foundation grouting. All deep voids were backpointed and repointed, and some rubble areas were completely rebuilt.
DJM used multiple cleaning processes to remove the teal paint off the Logan St wall and entrance area of this historic Woods factory at 401 Logan.
DJM provided stone cleaning services and repointing for the Elm St porte-cochère, and stone entrance columns on Mt Pleasant. The project was completed on a tight deadline with limited access.
DJM teamed up with Historic Plaster Conservation Services who provided plaster consolidation to the dining room ceiling of this National Historic Site. Extensive protection was needed throughout the interior to protect the historic interior finishes from damage. McQuesten House / Whitehern is a superior example of the residential architecture of the mid-19th-century and is very much characteristic of large Ontario houses built during this period. The house was built in 1848 for Richard O. Duggan as the centrepiece of a residential estate. In 1852 it was purchased by Dr. Calvin McQuesten and remained in the McQuesten family until they donated it to the City of Hamilton in 1959
DJM built new custom douglas fir wood partitions with glazing throughout this 7000 sq ft office space that houses multiple non-profit tenants.
D.J. McRae provided construction services for St. James Anglican Cathedral for over 20 years under numerous Deans. We have completed additional work at other buildings they control including the crematorium and St James the Less Chapel. The Cathedral is a landmark building both for the Anglican Church and the City of Toronto. Change Bells: As a 200th Anniversary celebration, the Cathedral undertook this project and contracted D.J. McRae to be responsible for the installation of the bells within the tower. There were a total of 12 change-ringing bells, which were shipped over from Great Britain. 10 bells were originally cast in 1828 and came from St. James Bermondsey (London suburb) and two other bells were cast by Britain’s Whitechapel Foundry (who originally made the other 10 bells). Masonry: Pinnacle replacement, stone carving, stone brick replacement, pointing. Roofing: Slate, copper roofing and flat roofing. Painting: Interior painting various locations. Demolition: Interior selective demolition including basement, church offices. Complete interior restoration of St. James the Less included Joss cleaning of interior brick work, waterproofing, concrete, painting and wood work. * D.J. McRae received the Award of Merit from the Toronto Historical Board, and the Toronto Construction Association award for Project Restoration of the Year for the restoration of St. James the Less.
D J McRae Contractors was proud to work on this National Historic Site that was purchased by Enerals Griffin, an African-American immigrant in 1834. The home remained in the Griffin family until 1988 when it was purchased by the Hamilton Region Conservation Authority. DJM was contracted by the City of Hamilton to provide replica wood shutters and a wood storm door to protect the historic building from vandalism and damage.
Completed in 2006 and was approximately a year in duration. This project involved the demolition of the existing south entrance and construction of a new entrance to accommodate handicap access, including a new handicap lift. Interior renovation work included the renovation of the washrooms, new office space, plaster, and paint, flooring and glazing along with along with the associated mechanical and electrical work. Exterior work included a natural stone façade, carved stone pieces and a lead coated copper roof. The site was extremely tight for operations and the building was an occupied space for the duration of construction. Selective demolition, excavation depths and dewatering were daily challenges for this project which were overcome. * D.J. McRae Contracting was awarded Project of the Year by the Toronto Construction Association for this project.
This project was located in a heritage building where DJM has completed a significant amount of work over the years. Projects included exterior restoration including wood restoration and new woodworking, and interior modifications to the sprinkler systems as well as various other interior renovations. The Newman Centre is a conference center, offices and student residence.
Copyright © 1972 - 2022 D.J. McRae Contractors Ltd.
Webflow website by North Designs